If you will be in San Diego this coming Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday I encourage you to attend Smart Grid Security West (http://www.smartgridsecuritysummit.com/), where I’ll be discussing some of my work in wireless security. Hope to meet you there!
I added a link to one of my big new projects, a book about all these wireless networks. It’s called “IPv6 for the (Wireless) Masses”, and I hope the playful title will make you to believe that perhaps it will offer more than just regurgitated standards and information you can find elsewhere with a bit of Googling.
I’ve also upgraded my TikiWiki software version (again), so let me know what else breaks. I’ve been playing around with menus and plan on updating my ‘random tips’ blog more often with what I am up to.
In my effort to build the calibration software for my simple Digital Compass, I’ve been working on doing tests with it.
Here is a screen-shot of the output (using MATLAB to interface to the serial port), it shows a plot of X & Y magnetic field readings plotted on X/Y axis. You can see it’s a (fairly) nice circle. The object will be mapping a distorted circle due to iron in the area onto something like that…
I needed to use my AT90USBKEY at higher than 3.3V for ADC input purposes. It’s not documented in the manual, but the schematic shows they anticipated this. You can easily convert the AT90USBKEY to run on 5V with a few changes. The changes needed are:
- Remove resistor R20 (0-ohm resistor)
- Remove resistor R16 (0-ohm resistor)
- Place a 0-ohm resistor on pads at R21 (move R16 or R20)
That’s it! The DataFLASH chip’s VCC needs to be in the 2.5-3.6V range, but with those changes it is still powered by the 3.3V regulator. Thus you don’t need to remove the DataFLASH chips. The DataFLASH devices have 5V tolerant I/O, so even though your MCU is running at 5V, it won’t fry the DataFLASH. Note the logic high levels of the DataFLASH may not be sufficient to actually work with the MCU, since it’s logic high will only be using 3.3V logic.
The following diagram shows the changes, red = remove resistor, green = new resistor, yellow = optional change. I actually removed the DataFLASH in this photo only because I wanted the I/O lines the DataFLASH was using.
Note that D3 drops the 5V input to about 4.2V. The actual VCC with just the resistor change is 4.2V. If you want full 5V from the USB, you also need to remove diode D3 and replace with a short. This is the change highlighted in yellow above.
When running from 5V you need to ensure the USB regulator is enabled. If using LUFA make sure the ‘USB_OPT_REG_ENABLED’ is enabled. e.g. in the Makefile:
LUFA_OPTS += -D USE_STATIC_OPTIONS="(USB_DEVICE_OPT_FULLSPEED | USB_OPT_REG_ENABLED | USB_OPT_AUTO_PLL)"
Another hint too: If you aren’t removing resistors permanently, just slide them onto one of the pads. This way you won’t lose the parts when you want to put them back. For example when I was using the line with the HWB pushbutton:
TikiWiki has just been upgraded, which might break a few things… let me know if you find any of those!
File not found.
FIP has passed IPv6 Ready Silver (Phase 1) testing when operating as a host device. Next up is the router test, then full Gold (Phase 2) testing.
See the entry at IPv6 Ready Forum
I presented a paper entitled at a conference in Paris, France this past week. Much to my surprise it was selected as the best paper in the security track! I’ve now posted it online, along with the presentation + notes from Paris. See all the information on my Articles page.
I’m still working on finishing uploading & setting up documentation, but I’ve finally put some of a new IPv6 stack online.
It’s designed to fit in a variety of applications, including WSN where you might have anything from tiny 8-bit microcontrollers to full-blown ARM devices deployed. It’s currently not completely usable, but hopefully that will change soon with the upload of a complete example. As well some work by colleagues of mine will show it running as a more complete network, but that will be released as a separate project I think.
See the SourceForge project (with code) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/flexibleipfip/, and the Doxygen documentation at http://flexibleipfip.sourceforge.net/index.html
An old project from 2006 was finally uploaded, an IMU using 3 rate gyros & a 3-axis accelerometer. May upload more documentation eventually, but for now all the source is uploaded. Includes using the MLX90609 gyro & LIS3LV02DQ accelerometer.
My various electronics projects have been moved from the old site to the new wiki format now
The radiotools for 15dot4-tools has been released. This provides a method of recording/playing back specific 802.15.4 packets.
Also site news: added comments on most pages, so if you see issues/improvements feel free to let me know.